Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Bald Barbie Movement...

I recently read a post (*this post has been taken down and an apology of sorts has been put up in it's place... which is great, but a little too late!*)  on the ACS (American Cancer Society)'s blog that really... well pissed me off!

If you're not aware of any of this, right now there is a group of people trying to get Mattel to mass produce a "bald barbie".  About a year ago, Mattel produced a "one of a kind" bald princess  barbie (Princess Genesis is what they named her) for a sweet little girl who was fighting cancer and felt down because she lost her hair and didn't understand why.  Well guess what... she's not the only little girl fighting cancer and losing her hair though.  Everyday 46 kids are diagnosed with cancer, and 7 kids die!!


Mattel is now under a lot of pressure to "mass produce" the bald barbie.  People are saying that the bald barbie's could help boost the esteem of women and children who are experiencing hair loss due to cancer or other awful diseases.  

There has been a facebook campaign set up (there is also one for a bald G.I. JOE), and it has already generated 125,512 LIKES!  The pages creator has given the following explanation as to the goals of this page: "We would like to see a Beautiful and Bald Barbie made to help young girls who suffer from hair loss due to cancer treatments, Alopecia or Trichotillomania . Also, for young girls who are having trouble coping with their mother's hair loss from chemo...."


Now back to this post from the ACS... I truly don't get how someone who is representing the American CANCER Society can be so negative to something that could help people suffering from cancer... even IF it doesn't raise money for cancer (which this group is also hoping to accomplish.)  "In a world already littered with cancer totems such as rubber bracelets and pink everything ...do we need one more thing whose function is to “raise awareness” about cancer?"  For real?  Wouldn't that be a good thing?!  Especially when childhood cancer is the lowest funded form of cancer, with the ACS providing only 1/2cent for every dollar earned!  I'd say even if mattel donated $1 for every barbie purchased to St. Jude's... they'd still be further ahead than what ACS is doing for childhood cancer!!


**The subject of childhood cancer hits home for me...although I have not have to go through it, a blogger friend of mine HAS had to go through it with her daughter.   I knew her before her daughter was diagnosed at 3 years old and followed along through her ups and downs.  Taylor is now a very strong little girl who is such a fighter and so full of life.  I look at pictures of her, and hear stories about her and can't help but think if a barbie doll could make some little girl happy and maybe give them a little more strength, then whats the harm!?  These people aren't asking for the dolls to be handed out for free, just made available to purchase for their loved ones!!**


About the Author

Hi there! My name is Nichole!

I have a passion for fitness and helping others!

My family IS my life. I know how hard it can be trying to juggle it all. My goal is to live a long, healthy life to see my children grow up, so our fitness and health is very important to me!

2 comments:

  1. I really love this project. At least it will make kids suffering from hair loss feel accepted.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! I'd love to hear from you!!

I reply to comments via e-mail so make sure your e-mail is set up so we can continue the conversation!

Copyright

Designed by Loving Life Designs | Powered by Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Contact us