Friday, January 6, 2012

In the news...

Imagine your baby brother/sister being your twin?  No, I don't mean having a twin brother or sister...I actually mean have a brother or sister say 5 years younger than you but finding out she/he is your twin!?

HOW is that even possible you ask?  Well, in Gloucestershire (a country in South West England) it has happened-sort of.  Mr. and Mrs. Blake tried to have kids of their own, and when they couldn't they decided to opt for ICSI (which is when they inject a single sperm into an egg to fertilize it, where it is then placed in the woman's womb).  Mr. and Mrs. Blake produced 5 embryos, two were placed implanted and the rest were frozen.  On December 9, 2006 they had their first child, Reuben (pictured about on the right).  In March of this past year, the couple decided they wanted to have another baby.  There was only one embryo that survived being frozen that long, and on November 16, 2011 they gave birth to Floren (pictured above on the left).  


I suppose it all depends on how you define TWINS, but they both came from the same batch of embryos during the same treatment cycle.  The parents said they do show a lot of the same characteristics.





I'm not sure that I'd call them twins, BUT this was a pretty neat story either way!  
What do you think, are they "twins" because they are born from the same batch of embryos?


*photos taken from a Google search*


About the Author

Hi there! My name is Nichole!

I have a passion for fitness and helping others!

My family IS my life. I know how hard it can be trying to juggle it all. My goal is to live a long, healthy life to see my children grow up, so our fitness and health is very important to me!

3 comments:

  1. That is a neat story ~ thanks for sharing. I hadn't read this one yet. Thanks for stopping by today too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't call them twins. Yeah they're from the same egg, so technically they ARE twins, but they don't have the same birthday, they're not the same age, so if they were my kids I wouldn't say they're twins. Just my opinion. Thanks for sharing--very interesting news. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if they are twins or not. That's a neat story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! I'd love to hear from you!!

I reply to comments via e-mail so make sure your e-mail is set up so we can continue the conversation!

Copyright

Designed by Loving Life Designs | Powered by Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Contact us