Sunday, January 22, 2012

In The News...

I was recently talking with a family member about the new SOPA an PIPA laws that they were trying to put into affect...I will not go into my rant {too much} about how awful I think these bills are,  but I will give you INFO about these bills...

If you have no clue what I am talking about, let me back up:  The SOPA {or "Stop Online Piracy Act"} and the PIPA {or "The Protect IP Act"} are the latest bills that would create a procedure censoring a "blacklist" website.  Although the aim of the bills is "supposedly" {rant: I think it's just a way to get these bills to pass so they can have more "Big Brother" control over us. /end of rant} to reach foreign websites, it has provisions that would allow for removal of non-infringing content as well- and not even give the accused the chance to protest or prove in a court of law WHY/how they aren't violating any laws... these bills would just take down the entire site instead <sites like NETFLIX, GOOGLE, CRAIGSLIST, etc>


Although these bills are targeted at websites that allow or discuss piracy, they are also targeting sites that have "user generated content" such as SoundCloud or Etsy.  If these bills would have passed 5-10 years ago, we probably wouldn't have youtube right now, that's how BIG of an impact these bills could have on us!  If these acts go through, they could even censor our search results!! 


YES, sites that break the law should be taken down, but these acts would allow the attorney general or even and INDIVIDUAL person to create a blacklist to censor a website- without having to prove that they have infringed on any copyright laws!


Supporters of PIPA and SOPA: RIAA, MPAA, News Corp, TimeWarner, Walmart, Nike, Tiffany, Chanel, Rolex, Sony, Juicy Couture, Ralph Lauren, VISA, Mastercard, Comcast, ABC, Dow Chemical, Monster Cable, Teamsters, Rupert MurdochLamar Smith (R-TX), John Conyers (D-MI)


Opponents of PIPA and SOPA: Google, Yahoo, Wikipedia, craigslist, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, eBay, AOL, Mozilla, Reddit, Tumblr, Etsy, Zynga, EFF, ACLU, Human Rights Watch, Darrell Issa (R-CA), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Ron Paul (R-TX)


Last Wednesday there was a HUGE internet blackout where sites like Google, Wikipedia, Mozilla {and many others that opposed this bill} participated in... and it worked!  The vote on these bills, that was supposed to take place 1/24/2012, has now been postponed.  I truly don't think this is the END of it by any means, but it's good news for now!!!





About the Author

Hi there! My name is Nichole!

I have a passion for fitness and helping others!

My family IS my life. I know how hard it can be trying to juggle it all. My goal is to live a long, healthy life to see my children grow up, so our fitness and health is very important to me!

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by!! I'd love to hear from you!!

I reply to comments via e-mail so make sure your e-mail is set up so we can continue the conversation!

Copyright

Designed by Loving Life Designs | Powered by Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Contact us