Tuesday, January 31, 2012

In The News...




Just seen this news article... as I've said before {in this post} cancer topics tend to pull on my heart stings... especially when they have happy endings like this one and then something bad happens... 




How about I just tell you the story already!?  The Detroit News reported that 17 year old J.T. Gaskins was diagnosed with cancer at just 2 months old and has been in remission since he was 7 years old.  Gaskins was inspired after a friends sister was diagnosed with cancer, to grow his hair out and donate it to Locks of Love.

Locks of love requires your hair be at least 10 inches long to donate, and right now J.T.'s is only  2.5 inches long.... not a big deal right?



Wrong, his school has suspended him, because of his hair, and refuses to let him back until he cuts it.  J.T. goes to Madison Academy, which is tuition free public school here in Michigan, the problem is that in their handbook it requires that boys hair is kept "clean, neat, free of unnatural or distracting colors, off the collar, off the ears and out of the eyes."
photo taken from petition

Although I understand the school wanting strict rules on the appearance of their kids {I think my sons does too} his hair really isn't that bad.  The only rule it broke is that it's over the ears.    J.T. is not complaining so much that they suspended him, he feels that there should be "clauses" put in place for boys who want to grow their hair our for purposes such as Locks of Love.

His family has started an online petition: which you can view/sign here.  They have 42,396 of 50,000 signatures already!

About the Author

Hi there! My name is Nichole!

I have a passion for fitness and helping others!

My family IS my life. I know how hard it can be trying to juggle it all. My goal is to live a long, healthy life to see my children grow up, so our fitness and health is very important to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! I'd love to hear from you!!

I reply to comments via e-mail so make sure your e-mail is set up so we can continue the conversation!

Copyright

Designed by Loving Life Designs | Powered by Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Contact us