Thursday, January 5, 2012

Toddler Time Thursday



On the way home from school yesterday, my oldest asked me to look up a recipe to make "ice cream out of snow".  I guess his teacher was telling them about it and it interested him, SO my post today is dedicated to his request!   Sadly, we don't have enough snow for us to try this right now, but when/if we get enough, I'll be sure to post how it goes!

(photo taken from a Google Search)


Snow Ice Cream (kid friendly recipe)

1 Gallon or a big bowl of snow (I think what we'll do is put a large bowl outside to collect the snow as it falls)
1- 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Just mix all the ingredients together and enjoy!  I would suggest mixing all the other ingredients first THEN adding in the snow.  The condensed milk will make the ice cream nice and thick!

Other variations to this recipe:
1 gallon or big bowl full of snow
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup cream or milk
Again, just mix the ingredients together.

Chocolate Snow Ice Cream
big bowl of snow
1 cup sugar
1 cup chocolate milk
Mix the ingredients together and enjoy! 
*You can replace the chocolate milk with: 1 14-oz can of sweetened condensed milk and chocolate syrup or cocoa powder, to taste

Not a fan of eating the snow from outside?  You can use shaved ice instead!  OR try this recipe!

Fill a gallon freezer bag halfway full with snow or crushed ice.
Add 6 tablespoons of salt to the snow. (This will lower the freezing point of the snow so you can freeze your ice cream.)
In a quart ziploc bag, mix:
1/2 cup half and half
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

  1. Zip up the quart bag, squeezing out any excees air, and put it inside the gallon bag.
  2. Close up the gallon bag, again removing any excess air since it makes mixing difficult.
  3. Wear gloves or else put a dry kitchen towel between your hands and the snow/salt bag. Squish the bags with your hands until the ice cream is frozen.
  4. Remove the smaller bag and enjoy your frozen treat!


*Disclaimer: I compiled these different recipes from a few different sites such as: the food networkabout.com, and TLC Family-How Stuff Works*


About the Author

Hi there! My name is Nichole!

I have a passion for fitness and helping others!

My family IS my life. I know how hard it can be trying to juggle it all. My goal is to live a long, healthy life to see my children grow up, so our fitness and health is very important to me!

6 comments:

  1. Your blog is the absolute cutest!!!! congratulations.. not sure about eating snow though... lol
    Hello from BSN, Esmeralda @ sciencesosexy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! Ha, yeah I don't think I could eat the ice cream if I knew it was made of snow, I think we are going to try it with shaved ice instead

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOO - cool post! My little guy would love this and we just got dumped on with snow this past week so perfect timing! woohoo - bring on the snow party!
    yes, did decide to try the blog dare... kept looking at it and it just sounded like too much fun! LOL
    cheers,
    jen
    The Antics of An Autism Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. My boys LOVE to "cook" with me, so I love finding things they can do that's fun for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi NS, following back from Blog Dare! Yeah, snow is pretty sparse around here so far, but everyone is expecting a pretty dramatic winter this year, so my fingers are crossed. Because my family and I are all over some ice cream! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're in MI and normally have way more snow than this by now, we've been anxious to build a snowman and haven't been able to yet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! I'd love to hear from you!!

I reply to comments via e-mail so make sure your e-mail is set up so we can continue the conversation!

Copyright

Designed by Loving Life Designs | Powered by Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Contact us