Thursday, February 9, 2012

Toddler Time




When my  5 year old started Kindergarten, he came home all excited talking about their discipline "program".  I thought it was funny that he was so excited about it! 


This is the chart that his school sent home

 

Then I got to thinking...if he's excited about it, why not use that to my advantage, right?  I never really had any one form of discipline with the boys, and I always thought that probably wasn't good, they never knew what to expect, and I never knew what to do, I'd always just wing it.

So I decided to create a discipline program for the boys.  We made a list of things that they aren't allowed to do, and if they do one of those things {ie: hit, swear, jump on the bed} then they have to move their magnet.  If they get to red, they get a time out.




I believe though that it shouldn't all be about the bad things... they should get rewarded for being good too.  So, I created a punch card system.  Once they fill up their punch card, they are able to turn it in for a trip to the prize jar.  The prize jar has many different things in it: crayons, toys, candy, etc.  The boys love it!!


I recently made one for a friend of mine and made it with four days since she was wanting to focus the good behavior for while he's at school:

This has worked so well for us!  The boys have recently started doing chores though, so I want to come up with some kind of chore chart or system for them as well...I haven't decided if I am going to combine the two {on the punch card} or keep them separate.


About the Author

Hi there! My name is Nichole!

I have a passion for fitness and helping others!

My family IS my life. I know how hard it can be trying to juggle it all. My goal is to live a long, healthy life to see my children grow up, so our fitness and health is very important to me!

16 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! I never thought of doing it at home. When Dylan was in kindergarten, he came home crying because he was orange...he had never moved from green...the humiliation was almost too much for him. I love the positive cards, I will have to do that with Caiden and Ella when they are older :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's been working really well. Wyatt doesn't exactly understand if fully YET, he just knows that moving to a different color is bad. He's starting to get it more now that he's a little older though!

      Delete
  2. I never thought about doing this but oh my gosh BRILLIANT! I have been having such a hard time telling my girls over & over & over again not to do this or that, I have been yelling so much more & it just gets more & more frustrating. I definitely need to try something new & this just might be it! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is exactly why I did it!!! instead of asking over and over again, I just say, ok I'll move you to yellow then, and they do what I asked lol! Especially my 3 year old, he HATES the thought of having to move his magnet!

      Delete
  3. I remember doing a nice behavior chart, chore charts and a feeling chart when my babies were little. I also had a treasure chest with misc little toys, stickers etc., that they could choose a prize from. So much fun!

    It also works well for potty training and clean up time.

    http://www.scatteredmusings.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about the potty training! One of the rules listed is cleaning up, so if they don't they move to the next level.

      I think for their chore chart, I am going to do it with pictures and put it in their rooms so they can mark it off in the morning & at night..i know this would work well especially for my oldest since he just started waking up to an alarm clock himself!

      Delete
  4. What a great idea! Let us know how it works!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! I just have to figure out the best spot for it in their rooms, so they see it & it reminds them of what they have to do!

      Delete
  5. great idea nichole! love the fact that you are focusing on the positive as well. like the punch card idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! With my oldest I've kind of always had to focus on the positive. He tends to react much better when I tell him both the positive and negative outcomes!

      Delete
  6. What a great idea!! We use a sticker chart but it's probably time to take it to the next level!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I was originally going to do some kind of sticker chart, but this just ended up working better. I spend so much time in or walking through the kitchen that it always reminds me! I keep their punch cards right by the charts so I don't forget to give them their punches too!

      Delete
  7. Awesome idea for my classroom for when I need to change it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know my sons teachers do something like that, but not each week. What grade do you teach?

      Delete
  8. My daughter has a similar color chart at school. Then we have a bar graph at home so she can color whatever color she ended up on. When she has 15 green days, she gets a special present!

    Howdy, swap partner! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the bar graph idea!! Gets her involved too!!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!! I'd love to hear from you!!

I reply to comments via e-mail so make sure your e-mail is set up so we can continue the conversation!

Copyright

Designed by Loving Life Designs | Powered by Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Contact us