Tuesday, April 17, 2012

How Much Is TOO Much?

Husband and I just got into a big fight over Brother's bedtime/the amount of time he sleeps.  As I have previously mentioned, I make the boys go to bed around 8pm on school nights.  I do not feel this is reasonable and I would {and have} make them go to bed earlier if I felt it would benefit them.

Fast forward to today... we did our whole bedtime routine {brush teeth, read a story, then bedtime prayers}. I tucked Brother into bed...it was 7:40 so I told him he could play in his bed or read a book until his clock said 8:00 then it was time to put everything up.  He did as he was told.

I walked into the living room and Husband made a comment about how it was still light out and maybe Brother shouldn't be in bed.  I ignored him...this is our routine, it always has been since Brother was little...did he forget this!?

I laid down to watch TV because my Tuesday night shows were on, Husband came in annoyed because Wi-fi was giving him a hard time.  He started saying that Brother needed a later bedtime because he was getting 10 hours of sleep and that was "too much" for him.  Mind you, it's 8:25pm at this point and Brother is already passed out!  He said if I was giving him that bedtime just to "get him our of my hair" that wasn't good parenting...

Again, did he forget that this has ALWAYS been our routine?  In fact, Brother's bedtime USED to be 7pm, but has been changed to 8pm because he's older now.  I asked him how much sleep Brother should be getting {according to him} he said 6 hours!  Are you kidding me right now?  6 freaking hours of sleep!!  I can barely function on 6 hours, how is a 5 year old supposed to!?!

But of course, he's not the one here all day to witness what a child who gets no sleep is like.  He's not here at all, ever, so who is he to say how much sleep a child should get?

I look it up...here's some "suggested" sleep times.  I WILL be throwing this in his face once he decides to come back inside....

AgeNighttime sleepDaytime sleepAverage total sleep
2 years10 to 12 hours1 to 3 hours (1 nap)13 hours
3 years9 to 12 hours1 to 3 hours (1 nap)12 to 13 hours
4 years9 to 12 hours0 to 2.5 hours (1 or no nap)11 to 12 hours
5 years8 to 11 hours0 to 2.5 hours (1 or no nap)10 to 11 hours
6 years10 to 11 hoursnone10 to 11 hours
7 years10 to 11 hoursnone10 to 11 hours
8 years10 to 11 hoursnone10 to 11 hours
*Note: The two sets of numbers don't always add up because children who take longer naps tend to sleep fewer hours at night, and vice versa.

About the Author

Hi there! My name is Nichole!

I have a passion for fitness and helping others!

My family IS my life. I know how hard it can be trying to juggle it all. My goal is to live a long, healthy life to see my children grow up, so our fitness and health is very important to me!

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your disagreement. Sometimes they just gotta feel like they have some control too! But like you said its a routine, children need routines. When you start messing with their routines, it's like feeding the chocolate and coffee all day. Hopefully your hubby will see that, this routine is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for sticking by your guns. Kids DEFINITELY need more sleep then 6 hours, that is just common sense. I know that my girls have rough days if they don't get at least 8 or hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! He must have googled it in his office afterwards because he came back inside and apologized. With him being out of town for work so much, he just feels like he isn't a part of parenting the boys very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you-- especially since Brother doesn't seem to be fighting you on it. My kids are 2 and 6, and bedtime is 8 pm. The 2 year old passes right out. The 6 year old sometimes gives me trouble, but she usually falls asleep between 8:30 ad 9. The babies need their sleep!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! I'd love to hear from you!!

I reply to comments via e-mail so make sure your e-mail is set up so we can continue the conversation!

Copyright

Designed by Loving Life Designs | Powered by Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Contact us