Saturday, January 12, 2013

Skills of the past..?

The other day Brother and I stopped at the grocery store to pick up some things for dinner before heading home.  While checking out he started talking to the cashier.  The cashier was asking him what grade he was in and what he was learning in school.  Brother said he really wanted to learn to write in cursive but they weren't learning that right now.  The cashier looked at me and said exactly what I was thinking "Do they even teach cursive in school anymore!?"  He commented that he didn't think his 12 year old son even knew how to write in cursive!

Our world has gotten to the point where everything is digital, but does that mean that some things (like cursive handwriting) should be forgotten?  10%  of elementary schools have abandoned it completely to focus on other areas of curriculum.  So how do schools decide what is and isn't worth teaching?  45  out of 50 states have adopted the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) that cover reading, writing and arithmetic.

According to the CCSS curriculum, students should learn to print by the first grade but then start writing on a computer keyboard by third grade.  Cursive isn't even mentioned!  Some studies believe that starting formal keyboarding classes in 3rd and 4th grade may even be to late!  One researcher even suggested to start teaching preschool aged children the formal way to type (left fingers on  A,S,S,D,F; right fingers on J,K,L, ;  and using them for the space bar) stating that young kids can develop bad habits that are hard to break.

That's not the only thing that the digital age will be doing away with!  You might remember good old fashioned library research! Yup, that's gone too...being replaced with simple online fact finding.

Do you think these things should be done away with, or preserved awhile longer?


About the Author

Hi there! My name is Nichole!

I have a passion for fitness and helping others!

My family IS my life. I know how hard it can be trying to juggle it all. My goal is to live a long, healthy life to see my children grow up, so our fitness and health is very important to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! I'd love to hear from you!!

I reply to comments via e-mail so make sure your e-mail is set up so we can continue the conversation!

Copyright

Designed by Loving Life Designs | Powered by Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Contact us