Friday, April 5, 2013

National Walk To Work Day 2013

National Walk to Work Day 2013


National Walk To Work Day is the first Friday in April.  The idea was to create a day that would help combat obesity and sedentary lifestyles.  It was first declared on April 2, 2004 by the US Secretary of Health and Human Services (then Tommy G. Thompson)


The primary goals for National Walk To Work Day is to have all Americans use this day to walk to their jobs.  Of course not everyone {including myself} can realistically walk to their jobs, so for those who can't, this day encourages them to take a walk during their lunch or after work.

Today was a beautiful day to walk work here in MI!!  I wish I lived closer to my job.  I live about 20 minutes {in a car}from my job, BUT the one thing I do love is that they putting in a walking trail that connects to our parking lot!  I can't wait to take my lunch breaks & be able to go outside and walk!!


Taking at least 30 minutes out of your day to walk significantly improves your health. According to the Mayo Clinic, walking can offer a number of important health benefits:

  • Lowers low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol
  • Raisees high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol
  • Lowers blood pressure
  • Reduces risk of (and manages) Type 2 diabetes
  • Manages weight
Overall, the simple task of walking, whether doing so outdoors or on a treadmill, contributes to a longer and healthier life, not to mention that it provides emotional and mental benefits — but the best part is that it doesn’t cost a thing!



About the Author

Hi there! My name is Nichole!

I have a passion for fitness and helping others!

My family IS my life. I know how hard it can be trying to juggle it all. My goal is to live a long, healthy life to see my children grow up, so our fitness and health is very important to me!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I wish I would have known about this ahead of time! I would have told everyone at work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! I'd love to hear from you!!

I reply to comments via e-mail so make sure your e-mail is set up so we can continue the conversation!

Copyright

Designed by Loving Life Designs | Powered by Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Contact us