Thursday, January 16, 2014

I miss dating



I really miss the feeling of dating.  You know- the excitement of doing fun new things together, getting to know someone, the romance. 

I feel like we are at a point in our marriage where we are comfortable with each other & our life.  We have developed a routine & now I feel like we're stuck in it.  Since we started working slightly different shifts, I feel it even more. 

I remember shortly after we got married, I was on the phone with my mother in law {who at the time lived in a different state} & she said "Ok honey,  I have to go.  It's Sunday & almost time for Dad & I's talk time"  I asked her what that meant...she said that they are so busy with their everyday separate lives that every Sunday morning they take an hour out of their day to talk about stuff.  Not work or kids kind of stuff, but anything else that interests them.  She said they had been doing it for years and really felt it had helped their marriage.  I remember thinking that the Husband and I should do that...then life caught up with us & we never did.

Now I feel like we don't have a lot to talk about outside of work and kid stuff...that takes up most of our time.  We have our annual kid free anniversary weekend...but outside of that, we rarely do anything.  This year- I want that to change!  The kids are getting older, it's easier to go places with them or to find sitters for them.



Most marriages begin with a romantic love that is linked to passion, excitement and an overwhelming sense of attraction to the one you love.  Over time the passion fades.  Date nights have the potential to take a ho hum marriage and make it spicy & meaningful again.

According to The Date Night Opportunity, a report released by the National Marriage Project, couples who manage to devote time specifically to one another at least once a week are markedly more likely to enjoy high-quality relationships and lower divorce rates, compared to couples who do not devote as much couple time to one another.  The report found that couples who spend time together at least once a week:
  • Are about three times more likely to report that they are “very happy” in their marriages.
  • Report higher levels of communication and commitment.
  • State that they are highly satisfied with their sexual relationship compared to couples who spend less couple time together.
The report found that weekly couple time offers both married and unmarried and cohabiting couples a chance to de-stress & engage in activities that are fun, active or otherwise arousing – from hiking or dancing to cooking together or playing cards.
 
Do you date your spouse?
 
 

About the Author

Hi there! My name is Nichole!

I have a passion for fitness and helping others!

My family IS my life. I know how hard it can be trying to juggle it all. My goal is to live a long, healthy life to see my children grow up, so our fitness and health is very important to me!

2 comments:

  1. Sadly we don't have date night. With Himself working nights having a date night is difficult. Also, on the odd weekend nights that he doesn't work we often go out, with friends, else we'll never see them, as a couple. We do have things that we do together, which I like, we go watch Tigers football traning together, twice a week and then we have his matches on a Sat. morning. I mean, I could stay home and cook or clean but I like spending time with him doing this. I'll be honest and admit that I wish we spent more time having fun, just the two of us but, you know, life happens. I hope you guys find a way of making date nights work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby and I have been working on this one. We don't have a designated date night, but we talk to each other regularly, try to get away from the kids together when we can. It's finding fun things to do together that don't cost tons of money that is the challenge. As long as we keep the connection, we feel pretty happy. When the connection gets strained, we know it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! I'd love to hear from you!!

I reply to comments via e-mail so make sure your e-mail is set up so we can continue the conversation!

Copyright

Designed by Loving Life Designs | Powered by Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Contact us