Monday, June 1, 2015

Being A Good Friend....


Lately I've been finding myself thinking a lot about the upcoming generation and how much harder it is for them to make friends...with texting instead of phone calls, the internet and social media, just to name a few! So I often find myself asking "how can I help prepare my children to be good friends when friendships now a days are so different than they were when I was growing up.

So oldest son had a 'friend' at school this year that I felt wasn't really a very good friend for him.  He bossed him around a lot and if my son didn't do what he said, he'd get mad and yell at him and tell him they're friendship was cancelled.  My son was heartbroken the first time this happened.  By the end of the school year, he was just annoyed.


The one good thing that came out of this situation is that I got to have lots of talks with both of my boys about what makes a good friend.  I recently asked them to think about qualities that they think make a good friend and write about it in their journals.  


A Good Friend is someone who...



  • Listens.
  • Enjoys some of the same things you do, but not always all of the same things.
  • We can be silly, serious, or sad with and they are OK with it.
  • Does things for/with you.
  • Understands you, supports you and cares about you.
  • Is there for you when you need them.
When we are kids, being friends with someone is so different than when we are grown up.  Friends tend to be other kids in the neighborhood or in classes at school.  As we grow older, friends may be people we work with, people we meet in groups to which we belong, and even relatives.  Distance can weaken friendships, but if we work at it, those friendships can be maintained.

We can show our children how to be a good friend by being a good friend!  Have you seen the quote "A true friend is someone who knows all our faults and still likes us."?  That’s the kind of friend I want!
 Next I asked my boys what they thought they could do to be a good friend.  Here are some ideas we've come up with:
  • Don't judge your friends
  • Be supportive, even when/if you don't agree.
  • Don't listen to gossip and don't spread gossip about your friends.
  • Make time for them!


About the Author

Hi there! My name is Nichole!

I have a passion for fitness and helping others!

My family IS my life. I know how hard it can be trying to juggle it all. My goal is to live a long, healthy life to see my children grow up, so our fitness and health is very important to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!! I'd love to hear from you!!

I reply to comments via e-mail so make sure your e-mail is set up so we can continue the conversation!

Copyright

Designed by Loving Life Designs | Powered by Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Contact us